Search Glorious Little Soldiers

Tuesday 14 November 2017

Shiny Chasseurs and a Curassier

As always when you work for a living personal stuff takes longer than you estimate - usually by a good way.
 Thus it was with these finally finished Chasseurs of the French Imperial Guard- Napoleonic  of course. I've been at these for what seems like years and there are only 10 of them. Of course I've been painting other stuff as well both for this project and for others such as the 40mm Wars of the Roses game our group put on at the Durham show last June.




However these are now finally finished all but the Officer being 30mm Minifigs from the late 60s- early 70s . The Officer himself being a Stadden. Horses are Stadden or Willie.





 I've also begun a unit of Minot French Curassiers. These need work most notably with their carbines(which were I dong an earlier campaign I need not worry about but this is 1815 so they need carbines). Now I have carbines for a good number of these. It comes as a small casting integral with the valise but the figures have no carbine belts so as it stands just sort of hangs there uselessly. Carbine belts are easily made from metal foil from used bottles of a decent red. French, Spanish or Italian- your choice, though currently my taste runs to Italian. Its a bit fiddly  but better than letting the carbine hang at a silly angle from nothing in particular. The casualty- hiding quite sensibly in the shrubbery is also a minot.







Was hoping to get the first shinyloo game in this weekend but it does not look likely. Most of the rest of the T.W.A.T.S.  have work commitments so once again I will probably have to postpone until I can get enough TWATS in one place.

12 comments:

  1. Lovely figures and nicely painted too. I don't remember Minifigs producing 30mm figures?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes they did in the late 60s to about 1972-3. Almost all Napoleonics I think. I have besides the Chasseurs some Highlanders and a few other assorted figures. Besides that I have seen some Polish Lancers and British Rifles (got outbid)and some RHA and RFA crews so the range must have been for its time pretty extensive though I have never seen a list.

      Delete
    2. I have a list somewhere I will try to dig it out

      Delete
    3. That would be splendid. I love to get my hands on some more of these. I 've never seen any of the horses for this range.

      Delete
    4. Andy I have posted the listing from the 1972/3 catalogue on The Old Metal Detector blog here: http://theoldmetaldetector.blogspot.co.uk/2017/11/miniature-figurines-30mm-napoleonic.html - for a while this should also be visible on your blog list on the right of the page.

      The post also contains a link to a previous post from 2010 of the John Cross review of Miniature Figurines S Range and 30mm figures in Military Modelling magazine. This includes a photo of a Chasseur a Cheval of the Guard on a Minifigs 30mm horse. I see you actually left two comments on this post back in the day, about some Highlanders and presumably the self same Chasseurs a Cheval in your post here.

      Hope this is of interest.

      Delete
    5. Superb- many thanks- It was a serious range. Wonder how many they actually made and where they all went, I had forgotten about the 2010 post- shows how long I have had these and how long it took me to paint them. Your list will help me to identify the few other I have,
      Thanks again
      Andy

      Delete
  2. Colorful and beautiful, well done!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now, these are just the thing!

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks chaps. Mind you I'm taking a short break from "shinyloo" once I finish the stadden riflemen on my painting desk. I'm thinking of having a bash at the Indian Mutiny. I have a few units done but they need basing. Flexibility may mean the use of sabots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fine unit Andy, beautifully painted. They are very animated, I like them a lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Andy,

    A couple of guys outside DC bought the molds, masters, and rights back in the 80s. They produced figures under the company name of Fusilier Miniatures. But there is still access to the molds and a casting machine. So they are not completely dead. I believe that there is only one of the original partners left. He and I made our Liberation Wars armies out of freshly cast old Minifig 30s just 2 years ago.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert- That is news indeed so who do I contact and how much of the listed range actually exists as the list on the old metal dectotor blog says not all are in production . You have defintitly given me something to think about.
      Many thanks for the info
      Andy

      Delete