Search Glorious Little Soldiers

Friday 9 November 2018

Continuing Mutiny and some Bavarians

Painting a bit slow since I - temporarily- did my back in but here are the latest additions to the 25/8mm Indian Mutiny collection. These should have their first table outing early in the new year when I have added a few more mutineers and based up some more British. However the first mutineer cavalry unit is  done . Also I have managed a few more figure for the stop start shiny 1809 forces This time some Bavarians. This is an army I have always fancied simply because it is ridiculously pretty so it seemed that "Shinyvaria" may yet appear.
"Shinyvarains?" Old Glory 28mm - well 25mm when we made them  but as tall as my Staddens 
Despite the caption I'm not going to have much of a moan about the stupidities of the 28mm thing . Brian Ansell invented it allegedly  so people would only buy his and the amount of immediate bandwagon jumping was indecent but there you go what do you expect really?

Now in a facetious turn of mind I thought about labelling the first pic 25mm Bavarians and this one 28mm to see if it fused anyone's brain - but that  begs a question .... 
There really is a lot about today's hobby that I find totally risible some GW nut telling me  his hobby isn't childish  because we all paint toy soldiers - Cold day in hell before I fart about with plastic space marines.

Mutineer Cavalry 25mm or 28mm Take your pick. All from the same Old Glory pack CMM4
Proper toy soldiers- or model soldiers if you prefer are still the thing  backed by some actual history books with actual words in - there may include some that do not have pictures and rules that bear something of a resemblence to the periods they purport to depict  and are not simply another dice rolling contest in a pretty box with a hefty price tag.

6 comments:

  1. Farting around with Space Marines can be fun - though I have wargamed 40K only twice, and don't have a collection. But Space Crusade, bought by a friend, was quite a fun game, especially when played as a campaign. One still had to think of strategy as well as tactics, in an environment you don't often get in table-top games.

    I tend to group war gameable figures into three 'genres':
    1. The Toy Soldier - traditional collectors' figures standing maybe 54mm tall (or thereabouts), usually metal, though Britains plastics could be included here.
    2. The Model Soldier - like what we fight our battles (i.e. play) with (anything from 2mm to 54mm):
    3. Army Men - el cheapo, crude plastic figures ranging from 40mm to 60mm in height. I include BMC figures in this genre.

    Metal flats fit into 1. and 2. Fantasy into either as well.

    I 'discovered' Army Men about 7 years ago, and still find it offers something a little different from the model soldier.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ion is not really Space Marines I dislike per se- but the GW version thereof and especially the nasty dystopia of their "universe" I prefer more jokes. After all the 69th M.I.L.F. are space marines- though they have not been on a mission for several years. No it is the whole 40k ethos is dislike and the drooling sycophancy of some of its fanboys of course.

      Delete
  2. Very nice...Mutineer Cavalry is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely Bavarians Andy. What I always liked about the '25mm' Old Glory figures was the movement in the poses and the wonderful faces, I mean the Dixon ACW's were lovely but far too dwarfish, soon as I saw the OG ACW's that was it, the Dixons went up for sale and I started again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As it happens I have just been given two Dixons ACW armies which I plan to sell for Charity as the owner wants to use any funds raised as a donation to SSAFA. I have not sorted them yet but there are 7 file boxes full. Also some Zulu war stuff which may go the same way

      Delete