Search Glorious Little Soldiers

Friday 5 April 2024

The Tedium of 'perfection'.

 One of the reason that, at least for some of my collections, I prefer older models is simply that they are more distinctive than many of todays products.

 This is not a matter of 'better' or 'worse' and will doubtless leave some of you a bit confused  but I do find that some of the fine detailed plastic and resin offerings  lack that indefinable 'something'  that sets them apart. Also I find that- unless you have the box, telling one '28mm hard plastic' from another in the same period is middling tough. I have two sets of plastic Pathans by different makers- they may as well be identical- the parts are virtually interchangeable. Now in itself this is no bad thing as it makes simple conversions  easy enough if you are that way inclined - and of course have the time  to actually make them. But somehow the lack of distinction between them makes them both slightly bland. They paint up well enough and the assorted parts are really useful- though  both sets make the identical mistake with the Pathan Jezzail  using the less common curly 'Arab' style butt rather than the plainer straight 'Indian' style, though doubtless few have noticed.

Blandness extends to many of the renditions of 3D printed figures I see on the internet mostly varying shades of grey  staring out of the stygian gloom of a black background looking strangely alien  somehow. Many of them look soooooo similar to each other that you can't tell one from another. I do make an exception with some of the armoured figures I have seen- they tend to have more 'life' in them paradoxically, than the repetitive WW2 Germans that one sees do not. Now doubtless the painters and modellers who use these can  put a bit of life into them by the exercise of their craft but with the possible exception of some medieval models I have seen I don't think I'll bother. Especially since I also see that some fellas are having trouble with fragility and indeed brittleness- though this may be because they are using the wrong type of resin. 

 Now 3D printed vehicles are another matter. Those I have are fine- detail is good and aside from losing the will to live while picking off all of the 'runs'  and 'sprues' on them prior to painting I'm pleased with the results  but then their prototypes are  steel and have no human element in them. Of those assorted vehicles I have - some are 1 piece models and others are in kit form some with a good few bits. The only problem as ever with these is cleaning up before assembly..

3 of the 3D vehicle prints I have actually painted. These are for my 15mm 'Moderns' collection.

I'm told there are more companies producing stuff in all materials now than there were last century which is very probably true. But if it all looks very similar how can you tell, once you have binned the packaging.

 Back in the day- I'm talking 1970s-80s here up to about 1990- you could tell a 25mm Minifig (sturdy as possibly a bit boring but dependable) from a Lamming(chunky lots of separate heads and weapons. Superb Medievals) from a Garrison (good sculpting but some odd horses) from a Les Higgins( crisp castings good design but a bit small unless you could afford the 30mm) from a Stadden (good anatomy superb horses)  from QT( lots of separate heads and weapons lots of variety clean castings but some odd horses) from Hinchliffe- (large range occasional anatomical quirks but good  overall quality Excellent equipment).. Form Corvus-a bit stiff but good detail- horses a bit small. You could even tell a Hinchliffe from a Hinchliffe Foremost- the latter being a bit bigger and with round bases for the infantry.. Or Dixon-  very clean castings solid models. or Front Rank- chunky chaps but clean castings good detail somewhat static horses.

Some of my 30mm Stadden AWI. You cn tell a Stadden model from most others of the time. 


 All this being before we get to outfits such as Warrior or Vulcan or Viking or Feudal Castings or Asgard (yes they did a few historicals) or Ral Partha or Britannia or even Foundry who were about in the 1980s doing 25mm which like most others they now call 28mm (yes chaps Guilty as charged ) . Doubtless there are companies I have missed perhaps because I never owned any of their models. I think at one time or another I owned models from all of the above. They were not sold in blister packs back then, so despite a lack of distinctive packaging on many I could tell one from another ! 

A3 Battalion brigade from my 'other' AWI collection- recently rebased on 15mm Frontage per figure.
 Two battalions are Old Glory the third - with Blue Colour- are Old Glory Second Edition. Each range has its distinctions .


There are now doubtless some chaps out there whose '28mm' armies are all plastic. It can be done for WW2 and some Napoleonic and Ancients armies and some Medieval and Renaissance but not for the majority of periods that really interest me and anyhow why would I want an army that looks and feels the same as all the others. As an aside that is why for example, I'm rebseing some of my smaller collections so that they don't look the same as 'standard' units as I have seen 24 figure horse and musket units often called.  The urge some seem to have to be the same as everyone else is not mine  neither in wargaming nor in other walks of life- Not Me - The Resistance Lives On......

Now to finish some Pathans- both metal and plastic. 



9 comments:

  1. Andy, agree with most of your comments about older ranges and new CAD plastics. It's odd isn't it, that we live in what could be seen as a "golden age" of choice and availability, yet there is "something" lacking? It's difficult to pin down, but some of your comments on the identi- kit nature of wargaming products nowadays get close.
    I've realised I'm a complete non-conformist; building up armies of C18th Imagi-Nations using Spencer Smith plastics (before it was trendy for a time) and laboriously converting Roco Minitanks for Arab-Israeli and now going off on a tangent with flat 30mm Zinnfiguren for Italian Wars, makes me far from the target audience for the latest 3D designs or plastic multi-parts.
    All my projects are using older products and share something of an aesthetic of understated elegance (at least in my eyes). I've also found myself going back to older projects (F&IW and SYW) using Rafm, Pax Britannica /RSM and Hinchliffe to complete unfinished armies.
    Neil

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In some ways I sometimes think that there is more 'peer pressure' now than back in the day- though it was always there in some clubs- to use the 'right' models and the 'right' paints and paint the 'right' way even use the 'right' rules ... sorry play the 'right' game- though rules use was always part of club pressure back in the day. That kind of nonsense has never really been my thing and was one of the reasons why I packed in competition play in the 1980s. I now have- up to a point- almost 2 separate collections. The older stuff- as in my Staddens Garrison and Hinchliffes and newer items as with my Old Glory, Blue Moon and the plastics.

      Delete
  2. I agree there's a certain something missing, but I'm not sure that the 'missing' bit is in me rather than the figures. Is it really that 3D figures lack character or is it just that my collecting and gaming, much like Neil above, is driven by nostalgia. I don't think anyone who wasn't around back when Gilder, Grant et al, were the leading lights will ever see the attraction that draws us to these old figures.
    My main collections are Spencer Smith (albeit the modern metal ones) and Hinchliffe; to which a vintage 20mil Napoleonic collection is slowly being put together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That should read "... that the 'missing' bit isn't in me..." and not "is".

      Delete
    2. I see your point regarding nostalgia but I'm not sure that is all of the 'problem'. It is also about distinctiveness and having a collection that is not exactly the same as all the others- at least for me anyhow. When you can't tell one make from another what is the point in choosing? Also I might opine that the less effort involved in acquiring your collection the less you might think of it later. For myself I don't only collect old stuff- my next project is 18th century India for which there is no 'old stuff' and very few plastics that will suit.

      Delete
  3. I am also left rather cold by the 3D print revolution and in fact most of my recent purchases have been Garrison SYW and Hinchliffe ECW, it maybe is a nostalgia thing but it works for me. I think the 3D figures are a boon for fantasy gamers as there is so much out there now that it must feel like a golden age for them I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I see your point regarding Fantasy but since I can ignore the Dwarf fiddlers most of the time that's fine by me. TBH I have seen some very good fantasy resin but at ridiculous prices at around a tenner or more more a single 30mm figure. As for 3D I will continue to use 3D vehicles and I have some scenery pieces to paint but so far none of the 3D figures I have seen have really grabbed me.

      Delete
  4. Interesting post. I think the older sculptors were artists who happened to make wargames figures were as now days they are technicians who make wargame figures. There is also the thought that if you make your range compatible with others you won't get cut out because the cool kids only play with X range.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wonder if cool and kids could ever apply to our hobby !- though I do see your point, in time the use of CAD will homogenise and blandify everything and the more than possible spectre of AI design will put the nails in the coffin of more than a few forms of art- including one as minor as ours.

      Delete