Search Glorious Little Soldiers

Tuesday 6 December 2016

The Pure Hell of Christmas

 I have this dream around this time of year. There I am sitting at a table  surrounded by ahem"friends and family"(who in this dream I do not know) all wearing silly paper hats and stuffing themselves into a mindless stupor with  sprouts and turkey(and OOH these sprouts have been on the stove since Thursday ! and OOH getting that 64lb Turkey into the oven wasn't half a chore! ) Needless to say the awful bread sauce is thick enough to put into a mould and the shrieking from sundry brats  blarting about how Santa didn't bring them the latest version of Zombie massacre 29 (and some of those brats are at least 32 ) is enough to burst your eardrums and of course my fresh foaming pint of "Old Horizontal" is just out of reach and the bells jingle louder and the fake snowflakes fall like 81mm mortar shells and every list has been checked at least twice.......

Then I wake up on a cold sweat and THANK GOD it is only December 6th.

PHEW!!!!

Now don't for a moment think I'm anti- Christmas. I'm not- well not altogether- though perhaps if James Stewart HAD jumped off the bridge in "Its A Wonderful Life"  we would not have to put up with that mawkish drivel year after year. (Though I can handle "The Great Escape" and even "The Wizard of Oz" no problem).
 No my problem here is not MY or indeed myself and my wife Carole's - Christmas but the way every other buggers Christmas- or more accurately the expected  correct commercial Christmas is rammed down your throat like a 12 pounder roundshot. 
It's enough to make you weep sometimes.
 So what is my kind of Christmas- well for a start it means a few days off without having to think about little lead men or parcels, some "quality time" (awful phrase)  for Carole and myself perhaps the odd visit to family.... maybe... though hoping to avoid stroppy teenage nieces who can't converse without use of the texting thumbs.
 As for Christmas dinner- well I hate Turkey so this year it is venison- so Rudolf had better not stop here. He'd be on the plate before he'd finished noshing his 3 millionth carrot of the night. How the overweight bugger leaps from rooftop to rooftop is beyond me and if Santa gets outside all that sherry- or milk and cookies  when in the USA- he's going to throw his guts up somewhere over the Pacific .Will NORAD be able to  track that I wonder?.


Image result for christmas images cartoon





So basically I'm looking forward to the holiday to a bit of peace and quiet - and even  a small amount of Goodwill to all men - and women.
So here's Hoping your all have a Very Merry Christmas and a Happy and Prosperous New Year.






Related image

7 comments:

  1. A cheery 'Bah Humbug' to you, Andy. Have a good one!
    Cheers, with the white foam flying,
    Ion

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well put mate. Hope you and Carole manage a well deserved break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have a good Xmas mate, or at least try to!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks lads
    As it happens I'm waiting for the last shipment of 2016 from the USA to arrive. It is a tad late- but I should have it late next week then I have about a week to do a months work- so all normal there then.
    I should also get some new gear- that may have caused the delay- Late Saxon Napoleonic Cavalry and more ECW both in 15mm from Blue Moon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like Christmas. I like it at Christmas and not when it starts in mid October.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A very agreeable outlook on the 'Season of Good Will', Andy!

    Have a good holiday too :)

    ReplyDelete