Search Glorious Little Soldiers

Tuesday 10 January 2023

Catching up on my Reading -16. The Battle of Rocroi.

Now off and on I have something of an interest in the 30 Years War- though often not the bits that you are supposed to be interested in. No Swedes for me for a start. 

 No my main interest is the French army of that period and it's all Oliver Reed's fault aided- though he would not know it- by Gerard Depadieu and George MacDonald Fraser- and never forgetting Alexandre Dumas - but there you  go  all sorts of things can spark an interest.

 So the new publication from Helion on the Battle of Rocroi- written by Alberto Raul Esteban Ribas- an author previously unknown to me really sparked  my curiosity telling the tale of Conde's great victory for the French over the mighty Spanish army in 1643. 

In the Helion 'Century of the Soldier' series (no94 to be precise) the volume  is up to the usual Helion physical standard that we have come to expect. in all 167 pages.



 First off  Mr Ribas knows his stuff. The breadth of his knowledge of the various French and Spanish sources for the battle and the campaign is impressive. The author has done his research- this show in the extensive bibliography but more than that  the book is well written and detailed - even if the prose is occasionally a tad ponderous this does not in the least detract from the scholarship.

The treatment of the actual battle is very detailed indeed, including, as it does, a full order of battle for the French and as full an OB for the Spanish as can be gleaned from the sources. Mr Ribas takes us through the fighting almost blow by blow, citing the various anomalies in the sources which have caused some confusion to scholars over the years. This detail is never tedious and repays careful reading, but let us be clear, you will need to concentrate. I personally was left  with the conclusion that the Spanish lost the battle  by missing their chances for victory while the French won by taking advantage of every chance they had. However you will need to read this excellent book to get the benfit of Mr Ribas's narrative and  conclusions - no spoilers here ! 

The narrative is backed up by a fine selection of contemporary illustrations which show us what the troops were supposed to look like or how 17th century artists saw them.  The maps by George Anderson are in their usual clear style and make the narrative easier to follow.

 If I have one reservation it is the colour plates. They are well drawn but perhaps a bit pedestrian and suffer from a surfeit of  blue but this is my only reservation in an otherwise excellent and useful book .

Definitely recommended.


Now all I need to do is get the 40mm French and Spanish on the table ! 

6 comments:

  1. Thanks for highlighting this - oh dear, another one for the reading backlog..
    Indeed the French are maybe overlooked compared to Gustavus' salvo-firing supermen - good to see them get a bit more attention. I have Stephane Thion's 'French Armies of the 30YW' and there was an old Pike and Shot Society booklet, not sure if that is still available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I have both of those - the Pand S soc booklet waas the first thing I ever saw on the French other than the tiny amount in Gush's Renaissance Armies book

      Delete
  2. Good that something other than the Swedes getting a look in, a book that I must get as well. Thanks for the review always nice to get some reviews before purchasing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the review, it's on my list of books to buy and read. I've just finished reading the Helion on the Spanish armies of Philip IV which was one of their Advent offers. I plan to review it for the Pike & Shot magazine and your review here could be submitted to them too if you wanted. The Arquebusier magazine is like every magazine looking for articles in this its celebratory year [there's gold on the covers]. They are also in the process of redesigning their website so you may find it easier to find what books they have - they have some new ECW stuff and are looking at reprinting some of what is now low in stock.
    On amore personal note I inherited my Dad's French and Spanish armies for this period [in 28mm] and they fought each other to a standstill as my Christmas game. [I'm afraid i do have Swedes I painted myself but these usually fight a mix of Russians, Poles, Cossacks and Tatars]
    I use my own rules as i haven't found a set that suits me. What rules do you like?
    Thanks again for the useful review.
    all the best,
    Stephen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with the Swedes I just don't want any myself- though I did do a few Danes. Still wondering about and discarding rules- the plan is to do the petit guerre rather than full blown battles in 40mm tried ';pikemans lament' but it is bloody useless. Thinking about a variant of Young and Lawfords Charge - indeed the idea of retro rules has more attraction than many of today's silly games for the hard of thinking- see some of my other posts on this blog but on the whole the question of rules is still one I need to answer.

      Delete